10/25/10 Update: Again thank you for the continued emails and prayers. You really know who your friends are in times like this. We did have a follow up visit with the cardiologist and Steve is happy with the course of treatment we are taking. Meds and increased excercise along with the healthy eating we had already been doing plus the nitro patch when he is working for the next month. Since the 50 & 70% blockages in the main artery have not calcified they are very confident the aggressive approach of meds and life changes will reverse the problems. If he continues to have chest pains which he has a few times we will re-evaluate. Stents would cause delays should a by-pass be needed later on. We are both very confident in the physicians at this time and are willing to do whatever it takes to avoid further surgery if at all possible.
For those wondering when the Marketplace blog posts will resume, soon! I needed some time to deal with everything and my first priority is my family. Fall has brought about some changes in the air as well as here. Stay tuned!
10/15/10 Update: First I want to thank each of you that took a few minutes of your time to leave a comment sending us your prayers and support. It has meant so much to both Steve and I.
The Arteriogram went well although we would have loved a better outcome, but considering the alternative we can live with it now knowing we have answers. He does have coronary artery disease with 4 blockages @ 40-50% each and one at 70%. Many of you have been through this with your own families just as we have many times know they usually do not do anything unless the blockage is 70% or more. The main artery did have two blockages (50 & 70%) but since this is also the one used should a by-pass need to be done at a later date they did not want to fill it with metal. After 9 hrs we made it home last night and he has had a really good day. Our cardiologist is going to review the angio and the nuclear stress test images with his partners as well as a specialist in Jacksonville this coming week and we will talk about all the options at that time. Treatment for now is a nitro patch daily, am to pm and to carry the magic pill bottle with him at all times until our follow up next week.
Thank you for stopping by! I have been out of pocket for the most part for the past 3 to 4 weeks due to my own health problems as well as Steve having some problems. During the past 2 weeks he has been taken to the ER via ambulance from work and then admited 2 days later with chest pains again. We saw a wonderful cardiologist today and after 4 hrs of history, EKG, Ultra Sound and more he is scheduled for a coronary arteriogram tomorrow. We know there is some heart damage and hope that should he have to have anything beyond the heart cath they can use stents. Best case is there is no blockage and as she put it a "magic pill" and some changes to keep it that way. Worse case is that stents will not fix the problem(s) and they transfer him to Jacksonville for surgery. Now is when we wish we were back in Arkansas close to family, but we will make it knowing God will not give me more than I can handle on my own. As I told the kids, say an extra prayer, think positive thoughts and should you hear someone pacing the floor, that would be me as I can't sit still for very long! Hope to be back sooner rather than later.